In recent years, demand for the purchase of Greek properties has been recorded, with a growing trend, aiming at their exploitation as tourist facilities. What should the future investor be aware of? Everything, from start to finish, in order not to be found in the unpleasant position of cancelling the investment, having already lost time and money or increasing its budget due to unforeseen conditions.
Basic types of tourist facilities
The important group of tourist facilities is the tourist accommodation. Tourist accommodation is the tourist enterprise that welcomes tourists, provide them accommodation and other services related to the accommodation, such as catering, recreation, sports. The main tourist accommodation is divided into:
- Hotels: hotels are accommodation facilities that have overnight stays in rooms or in apartments of one or two or more areas with bath, communal reception areas, customer stay and breakfast area.
- Rooms to let - apartments: as rented rooms - apartments are defined the accommodation facilities that have overnight stays in rooms or in apartments of one or two or more areas with bath.
- Touristic furnished Villas: As tourist furnished villas are defined the houses, with an area above a certain limit, which have independent external access, land - field and building autonomy.
- Furnished residences: As tourist furnished residences are defined the individual or a complex of detached houses, with an area above a specific limit for each one, independent operation and external access.
- Youth Hospitality Hostels: Youth hostel are hotels located within approved city plans and settlements.
- Condo hotels: They are category 3 or 4 or 5 star hotels, with specific terms of establishment.
- Special tourist infrastructure facilities: Special tourist infrastructure facilities include conference centres, golf courses, thalassotherapy centres, tourist ports, ski centers, theme parks, training centers for sports Tourism, spas, as well as facilities of special forms of tourism such as thermal therapy units, spas centres, rejuvenation centers, wellness and aesthetics centers and diving tourism centres.
- Complex tourist accommodation: complex tourist accommodation are the hotels that are erected in combination with tourist furnished houses and facilities of special tourist infrastructure.
There is also the form of short - term leasing of dwellings, which does not fall under these circumstances, is very recent in greece and is characterised by a developing legislative regime at present.
Location requirements of tourist facilities
Key, to the research processes in the area of interest, regardless of whether it is a new construction or change of use, is the knowledge of legislated requirements such as building conditions, land use, archaeological interest, forest Interest, environmental protection, fire prevention, networks of utilities. These in turn may require the knocking of the door in various services such as municipality, town planning, archaeology, forest, environmental addresses, tourism services, fire service, utilities etc.
Technical specifications of tourist facilities
The type of tourist establishment chosen by the investor determines the minimum technical specifications of construction, for example the minimum area of the rooms.
Functional specifications of the tourist facilities
The type of tourist establishment chosen by the investor determines its operation, i.e. which services it will offer to guests.
Capacity of tourist facilities
The capacity of the tourist facility determines its size, i.e. how much surface area it will cover, how many acres or floors will be required, in which areas are allowed to be done, how much money will be needed.
Certification of tourist facilities
The type of tourist establishment chosen by the investor determines whether the certification of technical-functional specifications selected is mandatory.